Friedman LLP is pleased to announce that Adnan Islam has joined the firm’s New York office as an international tax partner and co-practice leader. Adnan has more than 15 years of public accounting experience as a licensed tax attorney. He specializes in cross-border strategies, comprehensive inbound tax services, global information reporting and outbound U.S. tax incentives and credits to optimize international operations and transactions. He has advised U.S.-based and inbound companies within the technology, pharmaceutical / life sciences, alternative investments, manufacturing and distribution and professional services sectors.
Prior to joining Friedman, Adnan served an array of clients ranging from startups to publicly traded companies, including Avon, MeadWestvaco, Honeywell, Verizon, Agilent, SunGard, Booz Allen, IDT, AMEX, Conair and various private equity and hedge funds. Most recently, Adnan was the Los Angeles Area International Tax Practice leader at RSM US LLP, a global public accounting firm. His expertise includes:
- Advising companies, owners and fund partners as they navigate the burgeoning blockchain and crypto currency spaces to optimize their tax structures and achieve compliance.
- Managing international tax analyses involving various jurisdictions including: Canada, UK, France, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Singapore, Cyprus, Germany, Ireland and Mexico.
- Advising on cross-border reorganizations including mergers, acquisitions and liquidations.
- Providing guidance to inbound companies with respect to their expansion and growth into the US, including advising on debt-equity issues, dispositions of US real estate (FIRPTA), foreign partner reporting and withholding.
- Coordinating with foreign partners and technical branches of the IRS / Treasury.
- Drafting memoranda on technical international tax positions with respect to subpart F, section 956, FDII, etc.
Adnan is a licensed attorney admitted to practice law in New Jersey, Washington, D.C. and California and a Certified Public Accountant (NY and CA). He is also an Enrolled Agent (inactive). He holds a Juris Doctor (J.D.) and an M.B.A. from Rutgers University; and an LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law.
For a look at Adnan's media coverage, head here.