Barry has served as an expert witness in valuation, economic damages, forensic accounting, securities fraud (primarily financial derivatives), breach of fiduciary duties, partnership and shareholder disputes, breach of license, breach of covenant not to compete and theft of intellectual property, and accountants' malpractice cases.
His expertise includes:
- Valuation of businesses and intangible assets
- Mergers and acquisitions including involvement in deal pricing, development of post-deal projections, deal structuring, due diligence, accounting and taxation
- Forensic accounting and litigation support related to business disputes, economic damages, disputes involving securities and derivatives, bankruptcy, insolvency and reorganization, matrimonial dissolution, income, gift and estate taxation of closely held businesses and their principal owners
His industry experience includes, but is not limited to, oil & gas (E&P, shipping, marketing (wholesale and retail) and refining), financial services (mergers and acquisitions, underwritings, IPOs and private placements, brokerage, investment advisory, trading, product development, derivatives, back-office support services including risk management, systems design, accounting and tax reporting, hedge and private equity funds), manufacturing, wholesale, retail, healthcare and pharmaceutical including biochemical, hospitality, food services including catering and restaurants, insurance and insurance brokerage, real estate development and construction including subcontractors, etc.
An accomplished author and speaker, he has shared his knowledge and thought leadership on valuation, forensic accounting, litigation support, mergers and acquisitions, income, gift, trust and estate and other financial planning matters in a variety of forums-serving on editorial boards, writing for industry publications and contributing course materials and training programs for the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Federal Judiciary, the United States Tax Court and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
In September 2012, Barry spoke at a meeting of the Middlesex County, New Jersey
State Bar Association on the topics of Taxes and New Jersey Adopts Revised Limited Liability Company Act.
In May 2013, Barry co-presented a program to attorneys at the NYC Downtown Association along with a "white collar" criminal defense partner from a major New York law firm on the topics of foreign asset discovery techniques and United States foreign asset reporting requirements including, but not limited to, consideration of asset protection strategies, foreign tax avoidance havens, recent Treasury Department initiatives, federal and state fraudulent conveyance statutes, money laundering, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Whistleblower provisions under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, assertion of Fifth Amendment privilege, attorney-client privilege and retention of CPAs in a Kovel capacity, as well as when to advise clients to retain criminal defense counsel.
In April 2014, Barry partnered with the Co-Head of the Private Client Practice group of one of the largest law firms in the country to present an all-day Trusts and Estates program to the 2014 Joint AICPA/AAML National Conference on Divorce. At the same conference, he also co-presented with a noted turnaround management professional a program addressing how turnaround management professionals deal with distressed businesses.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), Teaching Faculty, Member; Business Valuation Hall of Fame, Member; Business Valuation Committee, Former Member; National Accreditation Commission, Former Member; Accredited in Business Valuation Task Force, Former Chairman; Certified in Financial Forensics Committee, Member; Body of Knowledge Subcommittee, Member; and CFF Exam Task Force, Chairman
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- New Jersey State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NJSSCPA), Board of Trustees, Former Member; Litigation & Valuation Resources Group, Valuation Services Interest Group, and Matrimonial Accounting Interest Group, Member; and Litigation Services Committee, Former Chairman
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA), Stockbrokerage accounting committee, Former Member